Struggling to find care as an Anthem Blue Cross / Elevance Member?

To our clients and community members covered by Anthem Blue Cross:


If you’re reading this post, you’ve probably found yourself struggling to find health care and support within the Anthem Blue Cross network. We understand this struggle, as despite our having a group practice contract, Anthem of Colorado has continued to deny adding our team’s new clinicians into its provider network.


This is not unique to our practice and is happening across Colorado to individual and group therapy providers. By creating barriers to provider access, Anthem limits the costs it must cover for mental health claims. This is great news for Anthem’s executives and shareholders, who have reported record growth and profit over the past few years. Of course, this is bad news for just about everyone else – most of all, the families covered by Anthem who cannot find health care and support.


While our legislators and regulators are sympathetic to providers like us who raise these concerns, they are particularly motivated to take action when they hear from members and constituents directly. Thus, we will provide you with some information on how to file a complaint if you feel that your mental health care coverage has been unfairly limited.


If you believe that your insurance company has limited your access to mental health care by denying new therapists’ applications to join the Anthem network, you have the right to file a complaint.


Here are the steps you can take:

  • Gather all relevant documentation: This may include your insurance policy, any correspondence you have had with the insurance company, and any documentation related to an inability to find a therapist with openings that accepts Anthem insurance.
  • Contact your insurance company: You can usually do this by calling the customer service number listed on your insurance card, or by sending a letter or email to the company. Explain the situation and request that the issue be resolved.
  • File a complaint with your state insurance department: If you are unable to resolve the issue directly with your insurance company, you can file a complaint with your state insurance department. You can do this online here:
  • Consider seeking legal assistance: If you are still unable to resolve the issue, you may want to consider seeking legal assistance. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options, and may be able to help you file a formal appeal or a lawsuit.


We understand that dealing with insurance coverage can be frustrating and overwhelming, especially when it comes to your mental health care. Please know that we are here to support you in any way we can. If you have any questions or need assistance with filing a complaint, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.